Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Heart Flowers

By Hazel Holland
 
I had fun painting these impressionistic heart-shaped flowers.  I don't know if heart-shaped flowers like this already exist, but they do now! 

Then my friend, Chris, reminded me that they look like shamrocks.  Of course, she's right!   I'd forgotten all about the shamrock having heart-shaped petals... actually leaves.  I use to pick them as a child when we lived in Ireland. They always grew down near the ocean.   Every time we would go to the seaside (that's what we called the beach back then) I would look for the little white shamrock flowers so I could pick the heart-shaped leaves.

I'm remembering now that they are related to the clover.  Once in a while in my hunt for shamrocks I would run across a four-leafed shamrock and squeal with delight.  I remember now how the leaves are very sensitive to light.  They will react dramatically to light...opening to sunshine and closing up if the light dims!

I painted the flowers these colors because I wanted some petals to reflect the sky and the clouds, others the green grass and trees, and then one flower was devoted to the color of love.

But love doesn't really come in any shape or color, does it?  Love comes from the heart and shows up in the most unexpected places.

Click here and here  for further information on purchasing a copy of this print.  

No comments:

Post a Comment