Sunday, April 21, 2013

An Oasis in the Desert

By Hazel Holland

"For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, and streams 
in the desert.  The parched ground shall become a pool, 
 and the thirsty land springs of water." Isaiah 35:6-7

The desire of my heart as I painted this impressionistic watercolor yesterday, was to paint something that would draw our attention to Jesus Christ.  I wanted people to know that His gift of salvation is for them, too.

Today I added some grasses and flowers to this painting as I felt that what I had painted yesterday had to do with life springing forth in the desert.  Then quite unexpectedly this familiar Scripture came to mind.  "For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert.  The parched ground shall become a pool,  and the thirsty land springs of water." Isaiah 35:6-7

Immediately, I was reminded how Isaiah used phrases such as “the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose”, and “water shall break forth in wilderness” to describe the salvation event that was still in the future.  He used the language and imagery of his time and culture to try and describe the mighty act of God in Jesus Christ, because it was so utterly beyond the limits of his prophetic expression.

What was a mystery to Isaiah and the other Old Testament prophets suddenly became clear to the New Testament apostles and prophets by the flood of light that was shed upon them by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ was God's final Word.  He was the fulfillment of their hopes and dreams that had previously been veiled in types and shadows.

What about us today?  Is Jesus Christ the fulfillment of our hopes and dreams?  Do the once “veiled” meanings of Scripture continue to become “unveiled” as the Holy Spirit draws us to this Living Water that has "burst forth in the wilderness"? 

I've found that Jesus Christ is the one Oasis in the desert places of my life that will never run dry!  When I drink from Him I'm not only refreshed by His Living Water, but forever ruined by His love.  So I drink from His well of salvation daily, and invite you to take this same drink that will change your life forever, too.

Click here and here for further information on purchasing a copy of this print.

No comments:

Post a Comment