Friday, March 7, 2008

A Man of Sorrows

By Hazel Holland
"He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering... He was pierced for our transgressions, and He was crushed for our iniquities...and by His wounds we are healed" (Isaiah 53:3-5).

I was compelled by the Spirit to paint this watercolor this evening. I think God wants to drive home the truth to us that Jesus really did carrying our sins upon Himself... The cross that I painted Him carrying is a symbol of Him bearing the weight of our transgressions and sicknesses upon Himself so that we can be healed! He took your punishment and my punishment upon Himself so that we can walk in the freedom of the new covenant gospel. We can stand tall in Jesus Christ, and no longer be held down as “prisoners of the law”!
(A larger copy of this painting can be seen at the bottom of the page at this link: http://transformed-by-truth.blogspot.com/)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Hazel,

    Thanks for sending me this link!

    Wow, I am struck by something... because of prayer we're having here at our home, I was re-reading something I wrote awhile ago about "forgivness" in the Lord's prayer (see this link)...

    And it strikes me --no, He strikes me with how being prisoners of the "law" is the same as being prisoners of unforgiveness. Because "forgiveness" is outside of the Law. The Law deals with justice, dispensing punishment. Death. Condemnation. And when we hold others in resentment or want them to "get justice", we are holding ourselves in the place of judgment instead of the place of mercy, the place of grace. When we do this, we "hold onto law". Prisoners of unforgiveness are prisoners of the Law. Does this make sense?

    His forgiveness, His release of us from our sins --His release of us from the Law of our condemnation!-- sets us free! And mercy triumphs over judgment!

    Okay, I'm kind of scattering around and not saying all this completely 'together'... but it's prayer time.

    Blessings and thanks again!
    in Jesus,
    Ramone

    ReplyDelete